Saturday, June 23, 2007

He is really Stanley's Dragon, isn't he?

I received in the post today a copy of Stanley's Dragon, a TV series/film I made back in, oh I don't know, 1993 or thereabouts. I hadn't realised it was out on DVD until I stumbled upon it on Amazon a few weeks back (Region 1 disc only, of course) and thought I'd order it for nostalgia purposes. I haven't seen it for about 10 years and thought I'd just check the DVD worked but, inevitably, ended up watching the whole thing. A few things struck me:
  • It was ever so slightly rubbish, but in a very sweet, kids' drama kind of way
  • If it had been made today, the dragon would have been CGI. I'm so glad we had a big hydraulic rubber thing to act with, it was so much nicer and - in my humble and old-fashioned opinion - looks nicer too
  • I can't believe how ruddy young I look. I mean, I know I was only 19 but bloody hellfire I look like a tiny tiny child; a fetus almost*
  • I'd forgotten how much fun it was to make, even if the director was a bit of a knob and the assistant director was a total total arsehole. God I hope he's not still in the business
  • I found Judd Trichter on imdb.com and boy has he grown up!
  • I got to drive a lorry. It was fun
  • My hair looked really rubbish all the way through, but I supppose you expected this kind of thing in the 90s
  • I notice that on most of the reviews on t'interweb I'm described as a 'cute junior reporter'. Hey! I'm cute!
  • Nevertheless, my STARmeter on the imdb has taken me down 4% in the past week. Aw shucks

*this might be a slight exaggeration

No comments: