Sunday, October 24, 2004

Hard Day's Night

I'm sitting here on the labour ward at 2am with someone in labour. It's an induction that started on Thursday so it's been a long haul for us both (no I haven't been here all that time!) but hopefully we're on the home straight now though. I'm pretty tired now, I must admit, and the thought of going through till at least 8am...well it's not a pretty one. That said, the woman I'm with is a delightful 17 year old and her lovely boyfriend so could be much much worse I suppose. We've also got a top team on the labour ward tonight. Good doctors, good midwives and good anaethestists - how often does that happen? (For those of you who don't work in the NHS the answer is: not very often at all)

In other news, I've just finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today for probably the, I don't know, eight time? What a brilliant book. Now I can start on my favourite, Goblet of Fire, before JK Rowling's grip on me is released and I can read some of the other books I have stacked up by my bed. Currently there is The Five People You Meet in Heaven which I think looks brilliant, as well as Dude Where's My Country. I've also just bought The Da Vinci Code, which my brother-in-law Mick tipped me off about. Ooh and I think I'm going to have to put this one on my Christmas list. Any other suggestions? I love books me. Sometimes I daren't go into Waterstones, it's like a pharmacist to a drug addict...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo its your nephew (the best one), anyhoo thought id post now i can do it without all the faff of signing up... glad to see ur getting through h.p. again!! just to point out a mistake... yes that right a mistake mia!!! eighth time, not eight time...
not like u at all...you can tell it was two in the morn! ben.x

Lisa said...

Da Vinci Code is fab, you should promote it up your pile (but wait for a time when you have a good long stretch of uninterrupted reading)
if you are after suggestion I have to insist that, if you haven't already, you read Donna tartt's the secret history. My favourite ever.

Mia said...

Thanks girls, I promise I will read The Secret History soon. I've picked it up many times in Waterstones and it's on my wish list at Amazon so I'm not sure why I haven't bought it yet but I will now...

And apologies for the spelling mistake Benj, I'm appalled at my own sloppiness.