Thursday, December 27, 2007

Sick talk

Hanging out with teenagers and other young whippersnappers tends to have an effect on your outlook, social habits and, significantly, the language you use. However, you have to bear in mind that there are some phrases that you can really only get away with if you're 19, or Australian. Whilst I'm perfectly comfortable discussing the merits of 'shredding the gnar', 'stacking it' and shouting 'hell yeah!' every time someone asks me a question, the correct use of the word 'sick' still escapes me; it just sounds perfectly ridiculous in my little Surrey accent and actually manages to make me feel twice as old as I already am. Yesterday I went shopping with my flatmates (Boxing Day sales - I bought tons in Gap naturally) and when one of them came over to me wearing a black hoodie with skull motif he was thinking of buying, I tried it out by saying 'Man that's fully sick!', but then totally ruined the effect by following it up with '...and I mean that in a good way'.

My friends just suggested if I get a gangsta hoodie, wear a baseball cap and tone down the accent and I'll totally pull it off. I'm dubious.

No comments: