Thursday, March 09, 2006

The value of good service

Last night I went to Waitrose in Hersham to buy some salmon to cook for a vegetarian (alright alright, pescatarian) friend. Never cooked salmon before, though had been given some tips from a friend at work, so asked the nice man behind the fish counter what he'd recommend and how much I'd need for 2 people. He offered me some nice organic stuff, asked how hungry I thought we'd be (answer: very) and gave me two steaks of appropriate size. Then he asked how I planned to cook it (in foil with olive oil, white wine and dill) and what with (new potatoes and asparagus), which he said sounded lovely. I asked him if he knew if there were any creamy-type sauces I could have with it and he left the counter to come and show me what they had on the shelves. He then took me round to look at the fresh herbs and we selected some lemon thyme which might be an interesting alternative to dill (it was). He then asked if I'd be interested in making a sauce myself (I was) so he said he'd go and check out some recipes on Waitrose.com and then come and find me. He came back with two alternatives, a cucumber and dill sauce and a hollandaise, which he explained would go particularly well with asparagus (it did). He then went back to the fish counter asking me to come back and tell him how it went, saying I'd be welcome to ask for more fish tips anytime. His name was James. That is why I shall henceforth always shop in Hersham Waitrose.

No comments: