Monday, September 01, 2008

'Goodbye' is actually the hardest word

I wanted to post 'Road Tripping Part 2 - Cottaging in Tamagami', but haven't had a chance, so sorry about that, I'll try to catch up when I have a decent internet connection. Anyway, to the business of the day.

Today is Monday. Labour Day out here, in case your interested, so I'll no longer be able to wear white shoes. Thursday evening I fly home.

I'm going to miss Canada like crazy. I'm going to miss Isaac like crazy too, as well as his family, whom I have adopted as my own. I'm going to miss Ontario, with its green rolling hills, redneck towns and fabulous outdoorsy lifestyle. I'm going to miss having a bear in my back garden (I've actually not seen it, but one tipped over our big wooden rubbish bin holder the other day). I'm going to miss my leopard geckos and the way they sit on my shoulder while I potter around the house.

I'm going to miss our little cabin, with its dodgy floor, ripped 70's style wallpaper in the kitchen and a liberal dusting of spiders in every corner. I'm going to miss having a bunch of friends (yes, teenagers) over to get freaked out by my collection of Derren Brown videos. I'm going to miss riding the zipline over the pond. I'm going to miss the incredible stars, and lying on the roof at night with Isaac just watching them and spotting satellites.

I'm going to miss climbing trees for a living. I'm going to miss strapping on my harness every day and it taking me 20 minutes to pop to the loo in the thing. I'm going to miss going fishing - today I caught a trout in the pond at home, watched Isaac gut it, put it straight on the BBQ and we ate it for lunch with beef tomato and basil from the garden. I'm going to miss visiting friends' cottages.

I'm going to miss Reilly waiting excitedly for whichever new part he's ordered for his car and riding up and down the roads with the sub pounding out those gangsta beats. I'm going to miss waiting excitedly for Isaac to come home from work and seeing him get out of Smokie's car with his sleeveless work shirts, filthy jeans, baseball cap and lunch pail in hand, shouting out "Hey goodlookin'!" as soon as he gets through the door.

I'm going to miss hanging out with Mary Lynn and eating whatever snacks she has offer. I'm going to miss seeing Imo's latest creation, whether it be an arbour, or a wooden table and bench for the garden. I'm going to miss being able to head up to Georgian Bay and go for a quick jaunt on their beautiful sailboat. I'm going to miss all this and much much more.

My plans involve going to New Zealand as soon as I've sorted out stuff back home - Isaac will be joining me - and having a working holiday there. In the meantime, I'm going to miss so much about Canada and hope I can come back soon.

No comments: