Friday, April 13, 2007

Nifty gifty?

That's it, I've bailed out. I'm sorry, I know I've let you all down, but I just couldn't hack it anymore.

I've gone back to a litter box.

Basically, a combination of Rudy's pathological fear of any kind of hole in the disc over the toilet and refusal to use it if he discovered one (or, worse, choosing alternative locations) and his penchant for trying to bury his litter to China, resulting in litter and - let's be frank - poo all over the bathroom floor every day has meant that my patience has finally waned. I'm not saying it's not a great idea to toilet train your cats, because it is, and if it was just Gertie I'm sure she'd be well away by now but Rudy's such a bloody wuss. He's sat on my lap as I type this but it's okay, he can't read. But honest to God, you should have seen the mess this morning.

Not that I've gone for any litter box. There are so many plastic monstrosities on the market - I tells ya if I had my time again I'd start up a company that produced nice and stylish products for pets rather than cheap-looking tat and stuff covered in cartoon cats and dogs that are clearly supposed to be cutsey but are actually horrendous beyond belief - but I don't want my flat to be a shrine to the cats (sorry - bad mummy) so I've gone for something a bit more...well, maybe you should decide. It looks at first glance to be an ordinary (possibly slightly rubbish) plant pot and (not too bad looking) fake plant but no! Inside is a cat toilet. Rudy took to it straight away and peed in it within minutes.

Now be honest. Is this actually quite cool, or is it unbelievably naff? I can't decide, but I think that I think it's quite a nifty solution. Either way, eBay truly is a goldmine for the weird and wonderful.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

is it possible to replace the plastic plant with a real one to make it a little more tasteful?

Mia said...

Ah, this is what I feared. You think it's tasteless then? I can't replace it with a real plant because

a) there's no room to plant anything
b) the cats would eat it
c) I can kill any living plant within about a week

But it's not a bad fake and I quite like having some low-maintenance greenery about. Oh dear.

Jenny said...

No no no, I didn't mean it looks bad, I was meaning...er...um....that the cats might not like the taste of the plastic plant....er...yes, that's what I mean't. The plant could taste of nothing - be tasteless! You do say they like to eat plants. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you can't keep it alive for long as the cats will surely eat it anyway? I guess I am just being characteristically rude about your lovely plant potty thing (ha ha....potty....get it??). After all, if I hadn't placed that final ebay bid on your behalf you wouldn't have got it anyway, so I guess I must approve!