Monday, April 30, 2007

Not a member of the Breastapo

Much to my surprise, I was on the Five Live breakfast show this morning. I say much to my surprise, because I only got a call from my friend Adam, who's a BBC radio producer - though BBC radio Essex I believe - last night at about 10.30pm, asking if I'd talk about postnatal depression (PND) this morning in response to the Royal College of Midwives' statement today that PND may be twice as common as we thought it was. This is, I feel compelled to point out, after a survey of only 500 women, which is unlikely to be terribly representative, but hey. Anyway, they said they'd call this morning about 8.20am and that I'd go on air about 8.30am. Fine. I was in a study day from 8am but was happy to run out for 20 mins or so.

I got the call at 8.20am, asking for my landline number. I gave it to them and asked for 1 minute to run down to my office. This I did, haring down 2 sets of stairs, to find the phone was ringing when I got there, and when I answered it I was told that I would be put on air immediately. Thus, if you choose to 'Listen Again' to this morning's show, you may hear me struggling both for breath and for thoughts, as I had absolutely no idea what they were planning to ask me. I winged my way through it, then headed back to my study day, whereupon my colleagues asked me what we'd talked about. I had absolutely no idea. I literally couldn't remember one question. Anyway, I listened back to it just now and it didn't sound half as bad as it felt at the time so that's okay.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I heard you on the 'listen again' (isn't that just a great facility?). You sounded very professional and knowledgeable! Well done, Mia!