Friday, April 13, 2007

Brookie

Yesterday, my mother & I took a quick trip on Concorde. Not that it left the ground, you understand, but it was damn good nevertheless.

Brooklands Museum has one, 30% of which was actually built there, and they've done a really good job with it. You buy a boarding pass and meet on the transfer bus for a briefing, then up into the cargo hold (tiny!) to see some information about Concorde's history and the story of this particular vessel. Then, you pass up through the cabin where there are original seats from the 70s, 80s and 90s/00s, before taking your seat at the front of the plane and experiencing a full take-off and flight experience (lasting 10 mins!) . Very good indeed and surprisingly emotional.

The rest of the museum is well worth a visit too. To my delight, I got to sit in one of Ayrton Senna's F1 cars although I am sorry to report that my hips are obviously wider than his were. A fact that the (rather advancing-in-years) museum assistant was not slow to point out, in some detail in fact, even going as far as to speculate on my dress size. Which he got wrong. The insulting way. He then tried to guess my weight, which he also managed to get spectacularly and not-a-little humiliatingly wrong. Hmmmm.

2 comments:

silas said...

Can I guess your dress size? I'd go for a size 8. Possibly a 10 in certain shops that like humiliating customers.

I'm useless at guessing weight.

Mia said...

I knew there was a reason why I liked you Silas.

I'm basically a 10, though I'm really an 8 on top because I have a bust like a teenage boy, as has been pointed out to me on one too many occasions.

Don't try to guess the weight, it's best. Let's just say that saying "Ayrton Senna weighed less than you though, he was only 9 stone!" was insulting.