Monday, September 11, 2006

A day of two meanings

Today is, of course the fifth anniversary of the massive terrorist attacks on the USA. Whilst I am not, in any way, trying to belittle the enormity of this tragedy, today is more memorable to me because of a very different event that took place two years prior to that horrendous event, because seven years ago today Tudor & I got married.

Seven years ago, at this time, we'd just finished saying our vows and were standing out on the lawn at the Cambridge Cottage at Kew Gardens, eating sandwiches, drinking champagne and having some photos taken. I was immensely happy that day, never imagining that only a few years later we'd be apart.

It's a cliché to say that I thought my marriage was forever, but I did. I still find it hard to believe things worked out this way, despite that fact that the split was instigated by me. In fact, that almost makes it harder. We're both moving on, still trying our best to remain (become?) friends, and that's good. But we had nearly 13 years together and you can't just walk away from someone you cared that much about and forget it ever happened. My relationship with Tudor has made me the person I am, and continues to have an influence on all that I do.

I wish Tudor all the best for the future. I sincerely and genuinely hope that he is happy and that we can still, in some way, be a part of each other's lives.

Happy would-be Anniversary, honey.

No comments: