Friday, May 09, 2008

They think it's all over...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the t-shirts... we woke up yesterday to several inches of snow. Only a few days ago I got sunburnt sitting out of the terrace having a BBQ (see left), wishing I'd brought some shorts to Canada with me; the Rockies have a tendency to do this sort of thing apparently. It continued 'puking snow', as they say over here, all day. This is known locally, incidentally, as a 'big dump' (with somewhat different connotations to those it might bring to mind back home). Today, however, the weather was warm and sunny, and it was fascinating to see how quickly it was all melting again, here in town at least. Walking* along past the shops, the snow melting at breakneck speed down from the roofs made it appear to be raining. Hard. Below are pictures of the morning and the afternoon outside the Beaver to illustrate my point.

Personally, although I've heard lots of people complaining about the winter conditions returning, in truth I love the snow. That is what Banff means to me, a snowy little mountain town, so even though the warm weather, and its concomitant benefits of not having to think about the adequacy of thermals, hats and coats all the time, has been most welcome, I still miss the snow. It makes everything beautiful, pure and exciting. I see a field of virgin snow and always want to run around** in it, or make snow angels.

So, taking my life into my own hands with crutches on icy pavements, I made my painfully slow way to the hospital this morning for a check up. It turns out my recovery is going very well indeed, they x-rayed me again and said the break was not really discernible now, hairline, if that, and that the reason it's still so painful is that I've torn my gastrocs muscle. I've been booked in for physio starting next week, have been advised to start trying to walk on it and wean myself off the cast (I have a removable sports cast). So all in all, recovery going well. Hurray!

*okay okay, hobbling
**yes yes, a girl can dream, can't she?

2 comments:

silas said...

I'm so pleased that the break is nearly sorted, and I do hope the physio goes smoothly and quickly.

I can tell how frustrated you're getting over there now your mobility has been compromised, but still take things steady and don't push yourself too hard (ooh-er) until the hospital tell you that you should!

And I think it was 80 degrees in London at the weekend. Which was not pleasant at all.

Jenny said...

If you made a snow angel, using your crutches as extended arms, would the snowy dent look like the Angel of the North?