Sunday, May 11, 2008

Food for thought

Following on from the other evening, when JK & I sat and talked nearly all night about food we missed from back home (though he's now gone home and is probably eating it all, the lucky devil), here's a list of things I crave:

  • Good, tasty, fresh bread. Almost all bread out here is largely tasteless, slightly sweet, with a strange, airy, spongy texture, which goes stale within a day. You can't even spread butter on sliced bread - even toasted! - without it crumbling. Oh for a Sainsbury's multigrain loaf or a decent baguette.
  • Nice Brussels paté. Or a chicken liver parfait. Or duck liver paté with port. Or any decent paté to be honest.
  • Decent strong cheddar. I've managed to find one at Safeways which isn't too bad (it tastes of something at least) and there's a deli here that does some really nice cheeses (including St Agur, which I just had for lunch), though it's criminally expensive. A wheel of Epoisse is $25! This is what passes for 'normal' cheese out here and it's revolting.
  • Branston pickle. After years of not eating it because Cross & Blackwell was owned by Nestlé, when they sold it I was very happy I could re-indulge, particularly with a strong cheddar on Ryvita, but now I can't even buy it. I heard a rumour you could buy it in President's Choice supermarket but there's not one near here so what good is that to me?
  • Cranberry & blackcurrant juice, which was my main tipple back home. Ocean Spray don't sell that particular combo out here, the closest is cranberry & grape which is foul. There's no really nice, easy to buy cartons of juice here - everything's sweetened to destruction - and though you can buy nice frozen concentrated orange juice*, it's a bit of a pain to mix and store it. Anyway, end result is I tend to buy and drink tons of easy-to-reach-for cans of Coke, which I hate doing as it makes me feel dirty. I can almost feel my cellulite getting worse with every sip.
  • Curry. Indian food is not a big thing here, there's only one curry house in Banff, which is expensive, and the one time I ate there I was very disappointed. It all just tasted blah. Didn't even do nice poppadums, just the baked ones, and there was no lime pickle or raita in sight. I can buy and fry my own poppadums, which are very nice but takes up time, effort and mess, so is a bit of a pain when it's just you. But Kate & I used to have 'poppadum evenings', where we'd make up a huge stack of them and scoff the lot with yoghurt dip. Good days, good days.
  • Gü chocolate soufflé. There's nowt like it.
  • Chocolate digestives. They do sell them for $4 for a small packet in Canmore but I can't get there very often.
  • Rachel's Organic Greek Style coconut yoghurt. Rich, thick, creamy, coconutty. What's not to love?
  • Mozzarella. Now, you can buy mozzarella over here, but it's a hard, usually ready-grated cheese to put on pizzas, that bears no resemblance to a ball of soft, delicious buffalo mozza. Oh how I miss its creamy goodness.
  • And for that matter, Parma ham. Not seen hide nor hair of the stuff.

That'll probably do for now, though there are inevitably many others that I can't bring to mind just now. There are things out here that I think are just as good if not better than back home - cupcakes for one - but they're few and far between. No wonder I'm actually losing weight at the moment.

*do you remember Waitrose used to sell this back in the day? I used to eat it like a sorbet. Yum.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

the english have NO right to tell the world about cuisine...

Mia said...

Firstly, I am not 'the english' [sic]; I am one English person. Secondly, I was not 'telling the world about cuisine', I was listing foodstuffs I missed from back home and detailing my experiences of the Canadian equivalent. Thirdly, I think Gordon Ramsey, Jamie Oliver & Nigella Lawson, to name three at random, might just have the right to discuss cuisine with anyone they like...

Stop hiding behind the anonymous tag Michel Roux!

silas said...

Delia! You missed out Delia! Oh, and another thing Anonymous - if that really is your name - the world's best restaurant (and this was official and the French hated saying it) is the Fat Duck in Bray. England.

And Mia, would you like me to send you a pack (or three) of choccy Digestives & some squeezy Branston pickle? I'm quite addicted to the stuff on a nice cheese sandwich.

Wait, can you not get Extra Mature Canadian cheddar over there as easily as we can over here? That sucks.

If it's any consolation, food inflation over here is like 19% and I'm considering getting paid in Zimbabwean Dollars.

Anonymous said...

As both an English and a Canadian I think I am definitely in a position to say that the English have EVERY right to tell the Canadians about cuisine.

When I was a small Anglo-Canuck, a much-encountered and much-detested dish was vegetables in jelly. Not aspic, I hasten to add, but proper fruit jelly. Proponents of this suppertime abomination would put carrots in orange jelly, peas in lime jelly, sweetcorn in lemon jelly etc. etc. It was like some kind of horrible joke.

Mia said...

Thank you for your contribution Ms Jewers - this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I would also, at this juncture, like to bring this abomination to your attention:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ambrosia-Fruit-Salad/Detail.aspx

This is a 'salad' (in the loosest possible sense) which you eat - I kid you not - along with your roast turkey at Christmas. Marshmallows. With a roast. I ask you.

Mia said...

And yes, Silas, it's virtually impossible to find a good extra mature Canadian cheddar like those I buy so freely back home. Oh the irony.

Whilst I'd love some biscuits and Branston, I'm on the move again soon so I probably need to travel light! It'll give me something to look forward to on my inevitable return...

Anonymous said...

I don't remember saying Canadian cuisine was any better...

Jenny said...

Its wrong to generalise on anything with sweeping statements - ie., French food is great, English food is greasy, Indian food is spicy, etc etc. Yes of course this can be true in some instances, but it can also be wrong as it can vary so much and is all dependent on who is cooking, what goes into it and possibly how hungry you are. I love good food, and in England you can buy or cook great food. I know that because I live here. I have visited other countries but haven't lived elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so if you miss some food or think something is great, it's your own opinion so it's right for you. It's not up to someone else to say your opinion or your taste is wrong! With good ingredients you can have great food anywhere. You can also miss the things that remind you of home or past. Anyway (!) if you are still planning on a visit in June, I'd better start my shopping list....Canadian cheddar, chocolate digestives (hang on - that sounds like a great combination), branston pickle...... a feast awaits!

silas said...

Unless you suffer from migraines, I can recommend chocolate with cheese.

For a delightful taste sensation, try grating Green & Blacks 80% stuff onto cheese on toast. Strong mature cheddar loves the sweet bitterness of the chocolate.

If you definitely don't suffer from migraines, wash that down with a glass of big fat Australian red wine.

Mia said...

I've always considered you an odd chap, Silas, and this only confirms it to me. It's why I love you.