Saturday, May 24, 2008

Reds are green

Hahaha. I just went to see Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which is a frankly ludicrous film, but entertaining nonetheless. However, on my return I noticed on the BBC website that the members of the Russian communist party are calling for it to be banned on the basis that it "distorts history". They said that teenagers watching it would be "completely unaware of what happened in 1957" (when the film is set) and that "[events in the film are] rubbish... In 1957 the communists did not run with crystal skulls throughout the US."

Now I'm fairly sure that the Russians have a point here and that communists did not run with crystal skulls throughout the US (or indeed throughout Peru, which is where the running with crystal skulls actually takes place in the film). I'm also pretty sure that a bunch of Hobbits never walked all the way to Mordor to throw a magical ring back in to the fires of Mount Doom, that Michael J Fox never went back into the past and then back again to the future in a De Lorean and I'm pretty damn sure a giant ape never climbed the Empire State building, but it doesn't mean we haven't enjoyed watching films about such events in the name of entertainment over the years.

In the words of Boney M: '"Oh those Russians".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my you're quoting Australians now. what is the world coming to?

Mia said...

Erm...which Australians am I quoting, Mr Anonymous?

The article was written by Brits, quoting Russians, and Boney M were founded by a German, and featured band members from Aruba, Jamaica and Montserrat. I'm very confused...

Anonymous said...

well once upon a time there was a Ayrian-Australian version of Boney M doing the rounds of the RSL Clubs. Credibility is questionable, but the original guy was involved so we'll pay it eh?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, how did they win eurovision?

silas said...

Erm, I'm sure they didn't win Eurovision. Mind you, Katrina & The Waves did, and they're not European either.

Boney M, for the record, were officially thus:

Liz Mitchell, Jamaica, Lead and backing vocals (1976–)
Marcia Barrett, Jamaica, Lead and backing vocals (1975–)
Maizie Williams, Montserrat, Dancer, live vocals (1975–)
Bobby Farrell, Aruba, Dancer, rap, live vocals (1975–81, 1984–)
Reggie Tsiboe, Ghana Lead and backing vocals (1982–86, 1989-90)

The only German link I can see would be the producer, Frank Farian (Franz Reuther).

And there used to be a Geordie version of Elvis. Doesn't make Elvis a Geordie, does it? Anonymous - and if that really is your name, may I suggest your parents really did hate you - you are a fool.

Mia said...

I think Denise was referring to the Russians when she mentioned winning Eurovision...

I'm very sad I missed Eurovision this year. I may not be a homosexual gentlemen, but I always watch, score and enjoy nonetheless. I have a gay friend here who's from Peru - yes, apparently there are gay people there too - and I've been trying to explain it to him and show him video clips of classic performances. He's naturally drawn, of course.

Anonymous said...

wow you can quote wikipedia - your parents must be proud.

Mia said...

Oh anonymous please. My humble little blog about nothing in particular is hardly the place to try and start a flame war, particularly about something so damn inconsequential as Boney M. I mean, really, of all things. It's all a bit embarrassing.

At least Silas is a friend of mine - I don't even know who you are!

Jenny said...

I thought this was Mia's light hearted blog about artistic licence in films being good - where did all this Australian / Boney M stuff come into it?? Can I also mention that I haven't come accross any speaking/singing/dancing animals but I don't think anyone has complained to Disney?!