Thursday, February 15, 2007

Revealing my evil plan at last

So, for those of you who haven't had to suffer me going on about it, I'm ready to reveal my plans for this year. I'm buggering off, leaving the country, and bollocks to the lotta yer. Only joking. About the bollocks part that is, but I am indeed leaving ol' Blighty for a while to stretch my wings and see what else is out there.

Sad thing is that for most places (like Australia, for example) I'm already too old to get a working holiday visa (ageist bastards) and that's what I want, because I want to take a break from midwifery and do a bit of bar work or whatever for a while. My friend Megan is Canadian and is heading back out there in a couple of weeks (boo!) so I started looking into visas to visit her and found out that there was a tiny allocation of non-student working holiday visas available for those up to the age of 35. I called on the off-chance and they said that, although they had a few left, the allocation would be full within a week. I applied there and then and secured myself a lovely big fat visa.

So the plan, at the moment at least, is: rent out my flat, move in with my dad & step-mum (thanks guys!) and start saving money. Leave work at the end of July to go on a months' annual leave prior to leaving (I'm going on a 'career break' so keep my pension entitlements - woo hoo!) and maybe work a few bank shifts (like temping but in the NHS) during August to save more money. Leave for Canada in early September, fly to Vancouver, hopefully meet up with my good friend Megan and spend a few days in Vancouver then take the train over the Rockies to Edmonton, where Megan lives. Stay there and bum around for a month or so finding my feet. October: go to Banff on a job hunt. November: start work and learn to ski/board. If like it, stay till March/April, if don't, go back to Vancouver to work. March/April: travel round Canada, maybe hop over to the States for a visit to Seattle or Boston or some such place. July: back to Vancouver for Megan's wedding, then leave for Thailand. Spend a month in Thailand and then on to Malaysia & Borneo. Always had a thing about Borneo. Not sure why. Think it may be because of this: Might go somewhere else - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos? - if I have enough money/fancy it. Then back home via 2-4 weeks in Japan. Then, who knows?

Comments and suggestions welcome...

No comments: