Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Lord of the Bedroom

My lovely friends Linda and Karl bought me a bed for a housewarming present (for those who got me a plant or a candle then don't feel bad, I was also their midwife when their beautiful daughter Chiara was born a couple of months ago so they were being extra-specially nice) and brought it round on Sunday. Unfortunately, it turns out that Ikea sell the slatted base that the mattress goes on separately, so I couldn't make it up and use it then, so I had planned to go there yesterday to buy that myself. In the morning, I thought I'd just check and see if there was anything else I might need and discovered that Linda & Karl had only picked up box one of two! So had to go to Croydon via Wandsworth to get the receipt (which Linda had to fish out of the bin) so I could go and get the second box. They didn't have the slatted base I wanted in stock so had to get the more expensive one. Managed to get it all in the car, along with all the incidentals I picked up along the way which came to about double what I had estimated. Why does that always happen at Ikea?

Spent last night making it all up - it took HOURS! Supposedly the bed was a two man job, so thank goodness I'm a woman! A bit of clever jiggery pokery resting the various bits on boxes and so on and I managed to get it all together. Then the slatted base. Well bloody hell. Short of planing the wood myself it couldn't havebeen more difficult and because it had some fancy make-the-bed-firmer-or-softer bit in the middle it was really bloody complicated. The instructions, unusually for Ikea, were hopeless, they made no sense at all. I basically made it up as I went along. Seems to work though! So finally, for the first time since the end of November when I moved in, I got to sleep in a proper bed last night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://thpfgfoq.com/tvwf/pypj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://boixraxf.com/anxm/ohjy.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://thpfgfoq.com/tvwf/pypj.html | http://zcpoczax.com/lerj/rupx.html