Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cakes and doughnuts

My sweet tooth is getting out of hand. Yesterday Liddi & I spent the afternoon making cupcakes, which were nice but I got the recipe from my friends Jack & Christi (Christi's from New Orleans dontcha know) and the measurements were all in 'cups', as those crazy Yanks tend to do. I tried to convert them online to grams, but have found that you get a different measurement for each website you use - often with wild variation between them! So I've no idea if the quantities I used were right; they didn't rise as much as I was hoping but they tasted nice enough so that's all that matters really. We had fun decorating them and writing all our names on them, although for Isaac I chose instead to do a portrait of him from the time he dyed his hair blond when he was around 13. The resemblance is uncanny and the shade of yellow identical.


Then the other day Liddi revealed to me that she'd never had a Krispy Kreme doughnut*, which is, frankly, criminal. To my horror, a bit of research revealed that the North of England has an extreme dearth of Krispy Kremes, as it turns out Manchester is the only place you can get them up here! We wondered whether we should throw caution to the wind and go there anyway - despite the 2 hour driving time - before realising that I had to go to Manchester anyway today to pick up my sister Toni from the airport! Kismet, surely? So off we trot today.

*why dough-nut do you think? I mean, dough, obviously, but in what sense is it a nut?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect it's like the other sort of nut, which if you think about it are similarly shaped. It's a little-known fact (lie) that they used to sell doughbolts as well, but they fell out of favour because people's furniture kept falling apart.

silas said...

You can get cup measures from the Conran shop. They do whole cup, half cup, third cup & quarter cup in a rather attractive stacking set.

Very handy for online recipes.

Mia said...

And, to be fair, I could probably get something similar at a far cheaper shop too - I just think that the Americans and Canadians should be forced to change their entire way of baking for my convenience instead.