Sunday, March 23, 2008

Lessons and visitors

Firstly, I'm a little behind in telling you that I took my first pupils out for a ski lesson last week. I loved it! No money changed hands, I assure you, though naturally chocolate was both offered and accepted. I work with a girl called Serina, who has been snowboarding since the beginning of the season, though has had mixed feelings about it. She has a friend who skis coming over in a couple of weeks and wanted to ski with her, so asked me to take her out. She'd skied once before, when she was 14, but had broken her arm on her first run. A challenge, then. PJ, her boyfriend is a good snowboarder but had never been on skis, so we started from scratch. Serina was a natural! She loved skiing and kept saying she didn't know why she'd been boarding all this time, when she was obviously a skier at heart. Ha! PJ was a bit frustrated at being a beginner again I think, in the same way that I was when I went snowboarding for the second time last week. I found myself sat at the side of a green run having fallen over for the umpteenth time, aching and cross, watching skiers whizzing past and eventually said sod this, went and got my skis and had a brilliant afternoon. PJ did the same an hour or so after I left them, but came and said thank you to me for giving Serina confidence. The following day she went on a lesson with Ski School and did her first ever black run at the end of it! I'm so proud of her...

And now onto the big news of the week and the reason I've been slack with my blogging: Jenny & Liddi have left today after staying with me for a week, during which time I've
sent them on a scavenger hunt around Banff (a thinly-veiled ruse to get them to buy me cupcakes, I'll freely admit), they've had ski lessons with ski school here at Sunshine while I was working, done shots at the Devil's Gap bar, we've taken the gondola up Sulphur Mountain and soaked in the Banff Upper Hot Springs whilst laughing at some poor teenage boy's carefully-tonged hairstyle, eaten ribs at Tony Roma's and spaghetti at the Old Spaghetti Factory, had Easter dinner with Megan & Craig and enjoyed an impromptu party at the Beaver, skied together on bluebird days, had a cleaning frenzy in preparation for a landlord inspection and locked Jen & Liddi in the bedroom while the landlords were there so they remained unaware that I had illegal guests. It's been lovely having visitors and I hope they enjoyed themselves too. I don't think Liddi particularly enjoyed skiing - I strongly suspect she has now hung up her skis and retired her poles - but nonetheless she actually did it really rather well for a beginner, as you can see in the video below. Nice one Liddi!

No comments: