Sunday, March 09, 2008

Ambition achieved

Was happily sleeping in my bed tonight when my flatmate Laura burst in and shouted that the Northern Lights could be seen outside - I jumped up and joined everyone in the house out on the terrace in their pyjamas to watch the Aurora Borealis swirl and flicker and snake its awe-inspiring way across the sky. Naturally this photo does it no justice whatsoever but it's the best we could do (thanks Chelsea for your picture).

This is one the main reasons I came to Canada: to see the Aurora. I've waited all my life to see it. I'm not ashamed to admit I had a little cry.

Quick addendum to the above now I'm properly awake. You don't see the Northern Lights this far south very often, and rarely in town because of the light pollution. Even the locals were talking about it this morning. I certainly didn't expect them to be as bright and vibrant as they were. I've been bouncing around all morning on a high and feel immensely privileged to have seen them. They certainly didn't disappoint; they were as beautiful as I'd hoped (and thanks to Gravy for this picture).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky cow! They are on my 'list of things to do' and have been for years! Maybe one day...

silas said...

OMG that's so cool! I am so hoping to get to see them at some point. I may have to go and live in Iceland - not the one promoted by Kerry Katona (and dear god there's some hideous "home movie" footage of her going around) - until I've managed it.

And no, I'm not hoping to put you out of a job! I'm trying to keep people in your job sane and not as totally overstressed as they are at the minute.

Oh, and to sterilise as many of the population as possible....