Monday, January 21, 2008

Rocks


There is not a single day when I don't look out at the Rockies and think to myself that I'm one of the luckiest people in the world to live amongst them. On my way home from work I find myself staring out of the window of the bus with what feels like a thirst, a desperate need to drink in the incredible views as deeply as I can. I want to try to hold them inside of me and make sure I remember them - exactly - forever. Is there any better reason to get up in the morning? The majesty of them at once humbles me and inspires me to greater things.

Before I came out here, many people told me that travelling gives you the opportunity to see and do things that you otherwise never would and that it will irreparably alter your perspective on life. I nodded and smiled and agreed, but never really understood till I took the leap and found myself here; now I know what they meant. In so many ways, I will never be the same again and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's not just the mountains that inspire me. I've found so much in the people I've surrounded myself with out here to admire. Time and time again I've had my hastily put-together first impressions shattered when I've merely scratched the surface and have made friends who, not only do I believe will be my friends for life, but who have made me a better person at the same time. I hope that I can take some of their passion, their enthusiasm, their positivity and their perspective forward into my own life.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I can picture you smiling and feeling content when you were posting this blog - let alone when you are experiencing all the wonder around you. You are lucky, and I admire you for daring to do it!

Claire said...

It look awesome! Am very jealous.