Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kicking ice

Today Zander & I went ice climbing. Gravy was going to come with us but he'd hurt his shoulder yesterday doing (or not quite doing, as is slightly more accurate) a front 3* on his snowboard, so it was just the two of us, which actually worked out pretty well, as we only really had enough equipment for two and it meant I got more time on the ice.

I've been climbing stuff since I was a kid, though mainly trees and the like. I always fancied having a go at rock climbing but have never known any climbers so the opportunity has never arisen. I never had any interest in ice climbing before, because I thought it would be too cold, but the boys went a couple of weeks ago and when I saw the amazing pictures, I decided I just had to have a go. Secretly I was hoping I'd be quite good at it, but thought it was best not to have any real expectations, given that it was my first time.

Oh man it was awesome. I had so much fun I can't even tell you. No sooner had Zander put me in a harness, talked me through the basics and handed me the ice axes, then I was attacking the ice with zeal. The first climb was fairly easy but good to get to grips with the concept. The second was a bit harder, and at one point my feet lost grip, leaving me hanging by my axes, which was a bit hairy. After a spot of food (my leftover risotto from the night before, surprisingly good cold), we went back for a third ascent, which included a fair amount of vertical action. It felt amazing to be searching for good footholds, whacking my axes in and testing the hold and looking back at the incredible views. Zander told me on more than one occasion that he was impressed with how well I was doing, which from him is pretty cool, because he's certainly not known as a man to bandy around compliments willy-nilly.

Descending from these climbs means abseiling with the belay (person at the bottom holding the other end of the rope) controlling your speed by slowly letting out the rope. If s/he lets you down too quickly (or lets go of the rope!) you're pretty much buggered. If your anchor point - in our case a v-thread and an ice screw - at the top isn't sound, the same goes. However, climbing with Zander filled me with confidence because I knew he was a safe pair of hands, who knows his stuff and takes safety seriously. On my third abseil down, I shouted for him to stop for a moment and he shouted up to check I was okay. I turned around - 90 degrees to the ice, crampons dug in, and with seemingly the whole world below me - and just shouted down "HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THIS?!" A moment I'll remember for ever as one of the most amazing of my life to date.

Incidentally, my leg coped well with it, despite currently looking like this:


Gnarly, eh? I have, however, cancelled my trip to Panorama because I think that leaning forward into my ski boot might just be a bit too painful. If I could even get the boot on that is, due to the swelling I still have.

Full pictures here.

*Nope, me neither

1 comment:

Toni said...

Well done, it looks amazing!! Leg doesn't look too nice tho'...... x