Monday, May 21, 2007

And here beginneth the lesson...

Talking of boycotts, just if you were in any doubt that Nestlé was still up to its old tricks, read this rather scary Guardian article about the situation in Bangladesh.

I really don't expect every one to follow my own example by being militant about refusing to buy Nestlé products (I check the brand of coffee in restaurants and won't even let hairdressers use L'Oreal shampoo on my hair) but I would urge you, when faced with a choice of buying a Nestlé product or something manufactured by someone else, please at least just consider buying the latter option? If you're not sure what products are Nestlé you can find a list here. Some of them you might find surprising - did you know Buitoni pasta and Herta hotdogs were Nestlé? San Pellegrino water? Felix cat food? They won't necessarily say Nestlé on the packaging.

If you need further convincing, it was this picture that really brought the message home to me when I first heard about the boycott a few years ago.

*And plenty of other formula-milk manufacturers of course, but Nestlé are the biggest manufacturer world-wide and still the most prolific flouter of the WHA International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes

No comments: