Monday, April 10, 2006

Asteroid Shower

Last night I went for dinner with my friend Guy in Kent for his birthday. As we were preparing to leave, it started snowing - big fat wet snowflakes that even began to settle - not actually because it was cold enough but because they seemed to be so bloody-minded that the formerly wet conditions didn't dare argue. When the two friends I was giving a lift home to and I got in the car to drive home, we found that as you drove towards this snow (and wherever you went, it seemed you were driving right into it), the effect was similar to suddenly going Warp Speed - big white streaks stretching from us to infinity, that were strangely hypnotic. Rather like driving into a huge white hedgehog. We crawled along at 20mph, with me gripping the steering wheel with white knuckles and trying desperately to stay within the confines of a road that I couldn't actually see the boundaries of. We stopped at one point to get petrol and a guy in the queue behind me said 'Bloody hell, eh? It's like being on the Millennium Falcon, isn't it?!'

Hans Solo eat your heart out.

No comments: